skeptical on use of noise canceling headphones

Discuss the computer software
oldtaboo
Level 0 (<10)
Level 0 (<10)

skeptical on use of noise canceling headphones

Post by oldtaboo »

I've been on the fence with idoser. I downloaded the free computer download that comes with a couple free doses. I didn't have much use of it, but then I prefer to lay down with binaural beats, and a computer just isn't convienant. I was thinking of the iPhone version, when one bit of info caused me some skepticism.

I'm not a skeptic about Binaurual beats... but when I read that i-doser recomends Noise Canceling Headphones... that was a red flag. According to all the greats (like Monroe Institute, etc.) Binaurual beats opperate at frequencies that will be muted or nullified by noise canceling headphones.

It makes sense... after all a noise canceling headphone is nullifying a range of noise - some of which the beats would fall in to.

Yet I see a lot of positive feedback. Since I can't test a free version of idoser on the iphone... i have no real way to test this in a comfortable way.

I'm just wondering if there's an answer out there that logically explains why noise canceling headphones are not degrading the effect.

I've also wondered if users who have no "results" are using said noise canceling headphones.
NeapolitanHusky
Level 3 (30-49)
Level 3 (30-49)

Post by NeapolitanHusky »

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ga ... phone3.htm

Google is your friend. First result off of "how do noise cancelling headphones work."

Active noise cancelling headphones have no effect on the sounds that are entering your ear through whatever device they're linked to. Instead, they have a microphone which allows them to detect outside noise, and then plays frequencies outside of the speakers which interfere with and cancel said outside noise. If they DO distort your music or doses, it's likely a manufacturing issue which can be resolved with a simple phone call.

If you're worried about these frequencies interfering with your dosing experience, try PASSIVE noise cancelling headphones- headphones with extra padding to put more layers between your ears and the undesired ambient noises of the outside world.

In the end, do whatever is most comfortable, relaxing, and convenient for you. You get the most out of doses by being at ease with a clear mind, and through repetition. The more you dose, the easier it will become for your brain to "decipher" the beats. Don't become discouraged if you don't get very good effects to begin with- we all have our own speeds. Also, don't be discouraged by the thought of a placebo effect. Whether it comes naturally or by your brain tricking itself, you're still getting the desired effects.

All in all, keep at it and have fun with it! Good luck, hope this helped some!