Headphone Guide

Get user supplied support
SadLittlePony
VIP PLATINUM (500+)
VIP PLATINUM (500+)

Headphone Guide

Post by SadLittlePony »

Hello everyone this is SadLittlePony with a guide to picking the right headphones for you. You will notice that in this guide I will not recommend any headphones. If you are looking for recommendations please visit this link for a List of Approved Headphones. I will also neglect to mention frequency response ranges as that does not matter if the sound still sucks. The purpose of this guide is to help you choose the right headphones the next time you go out shopping.

Bass is a very important key factor. This may seem irrelevant but its not. A pair of cheap headphones that come with your mp3 player will not cut it for this reason. The more bass your headphones have the more balance your headphones will have. Your main goal is to be able to hear the binaural waveform at a comfortable level. If you lack bass you will have to turn the volume up higher which also makes the white noise louder rendering the white noise uncomfortable and distracting. The better your bass the better your comfort.

If you are looking for quality sound you have two options for your computer. You can find a pair of headphones that has USB input or Optical input. Both of these options will give you the truest sound from your computer or media device. With the use of USB you can achieve Dolby 5.1 sound and with Optical you can achieve Dolby 7.1 Many of these headphones you buy will have a detachable dongle that you can plug directly into your mp3 player as a standard pair of headphones.

Surround sound headphones might seem like a foreign concept but in reality it is not impossible. Surround sound headphones are always over ear headphones. They have multiple speakers in each ear including bass speakers and tweeter speakers. They physically provide real surround sound. If headphones claim surround sound and are not over ear it is not true surround sound but simulated with 3D effects. If you are buying headphones for dosing you should not buy 3D sound. Surround sound is fine and even good for watching movies but 3D sound can kill your dosing experience

A few more things to mention about the sound quality of your future headphones. Noise canceling headphones are bad. If your going to buy a pair of noise canceling make sure you have the ability to turn that function off. The way noise canceling headphones work is by listening to ambient noise and then playing back that same noise outward canceling out the sound from going to your ears. Handy if your just listening to music but it can tamper with your doses and render them completely useless.

The physical properties of your headphones matter a lot too. Right off the bat I am going to recommend the use of over ear or on ear headphones. Ear buds and In ear headphones tend to lack the proper sound ventilation to your ear drum. The sound will pound on the inside of your ear and cause more damage faster. Over ear and on ear headphones both properly vent leaving your ears safe. In ear headphones are nice because they function like an earplug blocking out unwanted noise. But you should always have an awareness of your surroundings so I discourage the use of these for dosing.

If you are buying a pair of wired earphones take a look at three things on the wire. The connector, check if it is 180 degree bend or a 90 degree bend. The angle that the wire comes out is important depending on how you are going to use your headphones. Check the color of the connector too. A gold connection is going to give you better sound quality and will last longer. The wire, check if it is a shielded wire, a shielded wire will prevent interference from devices like cellphones and radios. Also check the shape of the wire, a flat wire is nearly tangle free. Last check the length of the wire. I say six feet is a very good length. If your using it on a mpg player you can wrap the extra wire around the device and put it in your pocket.

Also if you want take a look at the speaker size and the vents. If the speaker is 40mm it will likely give you the range of sound you need with rich bass. But if there is no vents for the bass you will likely feel and potentially even hear your headphones rattling. A buzzing sound will occur in your ear that is very distracting.

I trust you are all smart enough to use this guide to find the right headphones for you but even if you are you may still have questions. Feel free to ask. I hope that this guide was valuable to you and I hope it served you well. Until next time Dosers.

mexicandose
Level 1 (10-19)
Level 1 (10-19)

Re: Headphone Guide

Post by mexicandose »

Lately, many users have asking about this kind of thing. Well here is your answer to all of them :D . Very helpful guide, thanks SadLittlePony¡¡¡
SadLittlePony
VIP PLATINUM (500+)
VIP PLATINUM (500+)

Post by SadLittlePony »

Yup well thats why I posted it. I got tired of answering in so many posts now I can just link them a handy link.
SpaceMiNd
VIP PLATINUM (500+)
VIP PLATINUM (500+)

Post by SpaceMiNd »

I be rocking that Skullcandy's Heavy Medals! Now, if only it came in a rasta color :(
edit: btw nice anime babe
Happy Dosing - SpaceMiNd
Last edited by SpaceMiNd on Wed May 09, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SadLittlePony
VIP PLATINUM (500+)
VIP PLATINUM (500+)

Post by SadLittlePony »

Haha I would be down for some rasta colored headphones.
Alexandraly
Level 0 (<10)
Level 0 (<10)

Post by Alexandraly »

I know this may be a stupid question since the guide is up there, but do skullcandy hesh over the ear or apple in ear headphones work well with doses?
SadLittlePony
VIP PLATINUM (500+)
VIP PLATINUM (500+)

Post by SadLittlePony »

Some users report that iBuds do work but as I know personally from experience of how iBuds are I find it extremely difficult to believe. Likely those users are experiencing a sort of placebo. But your Hesh headphones should work just fine. I use SkullCandy UpRocks a lot myself and they work great. But for future reference we dont know how good your headphones are so we can not be a judge.
Alexandraly
Level 0 (<10)
Level 0 (<10)

Post by Alexandraly »

Thank you very much.
daver
Level 4 (50-199)
Level 4 (50-199)

Post by daver »

Well I had been getting fantastic results from my Shure 840 studio headphones. I wanted to try some earbuds and see how they work. I just got some Klipsch S4s and OMG! I am getting even better results with these! On my iPhone with the volume set around 30% and even using the Bass Reduction EQ setting. I think it is the fact that 1) They do provide high enough quality sound and 2) I can't even feel them! It is like I am not wearing headphones. I think that extra stimulus of the headphone pressure interfered a bit.

For example, I just tried the Marijuana dose (PC, exported to MP3) and I never knew she took more hits while fooling around. LOL. Everything had just a bit more clarity - like switching to a slightly better TV.

One drawback is they don't block the room noise nearly as much so if that is a distraction, stick to over the ear models.

[EDIT] Make certain Left and Right are in the correct ears. I was really disappointed until I figured that out. LOL
PiCiNk0
VIP GOLD (200-499)
VIP GOLD (200-499)

Post by PiCiNk0 »

daver wrote: Make certain Left and Right are in the correct ears. I was really disappointed until I figured that out. LOL
I have to disagree with you in this... i saw this question in "Ask the Admin" and admin said that it doesn't matter if you have left and right headphones in correct ears

EDIT: Here it is http://i-doser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5512
QUESTION:
Will i-doser work if i listen to it with headphones backwards? (left speaker in right ear and right speaker in left ear)

ANSWER:
Yes. It doesn't matter.
SadLittlePony
VIP PLATINUM (500+)
VIP PLATINUM (500+)

Post by SadLittlePony »

It could be a contributing factor though. Think about wether your left handed or right handed. When you spin which way do you spin. Which way does the hair on your hair grow out. It could be that your brain waves accept the dose from one way or the other. When I hear the doses they go right to left. My hair grows clockwise. Perhaps the dose is creating resistance for my brain waves and when my brain waves are forced to change there is no problem. This is just a theory, don´t quote me on that.

But good find none the less!
idoser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by idoser »

We kind of land of both sides here: In our testing (and it's been pretty extensive now since we've been doing this for so long), one of our variables is L/R location since it's so easy to have them on the wrong sides. Many headphones have small or no Left and Right markings. We've seen no "measurable" difference based on alignment.

With that said, as Pony points out: just because it is immeasurable does not mean it does no exist - and we live according to some alignment from your preferred hand, dominant eye, all the way to which side you get out of bed in the morning... brain alignment is no different, as we all have a dominant L/R sides to our brain also (analytical vs creative).

We do design all our doses with the correct L/R alignment. So, per our usual stance: keep the alignment correct, use quality gear, and turn off any enhancements such as bass boost or virtual surround - just to be sure you are mimicking design specs as closely as possible.

We much prefer these kinds of questions than "will these brand of headphones work? <insert one model of the infinite that exist here>

Hope this helps
asdasdfrfr
Level 0 (<10)
Level 0 (<10)

Post by asdasdfrfr »

i had opened a topic recently but it had closed. i want to know if Koss PortaPro headphone would work with doses...(15 Hz - 25 kHz,101 dB)i am asking this question because i heard that it is necessary to use 15Hz-20kHz headphones to be able to use doses.with that headphones, can i get that quality?

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Hea ... B00001P4ZH
ShadoBass
Level 0 (<10)
Level 0 (<10)

Post by ShadoBass »

Hey i'm not too sure if its the earbuds or if i'm not taking the dose correctly but uhh

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX1X-Headph ... B004M8SAJ4

Is it the earbuds? that's the ones i'm usin so yeah they looked like they should look when i bought em any feedback?
brunoc14
VIP GOLD (200-499)
VIP GOLD (200-499)

Post by brunoc14 »

We cant say if they work just looking at them! take a look at the list pf recommended heaphones... I'm buying the JVC HARX500

List lf recommended headphones: astore.amazon.com/idosercom02-20