headphones

Get user supplied support
Turmolt
Level 0 (<10)
Level 0 (<10)

headphones

Post by Turmolt »

I have 2 quick questions.

are the Koss UR 40 headphones good? Link below (Need to copy/paste into browser)

http://koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^fs^UR40

And is part of the reason I'm not getting any-minimal effects because my sound was set to stereo speakers, not stereo headphones? Does it make a big difference?

I really want I-Doser to work, and I'm trying everything possible.
Ness
VIP PLATINUM (500+)
VIP PLATINUM (500+)

Post by Ness »

I'd suggest you change the settings and keep trying.
MisterP
Level 0 (<10)
Level 0 (<10)

Post by MisterP »

I have thesame problem here, I've read the sticky in Dose Experiences about what to do to get results. I just got some earplugs worth €20,- with a frequency range of 6Hz - 23 kHz. BUT it has a bass amplifier build in. Does this matter?
Novus
Level 0 (<10)
Level 0 (<10)

Post by Novus »

MisterP wrote:I have thesame problem here, I've read the sticky in Dose Experiences about what to do to get results. I just got some earplugs worth €20,- with a frequency range of 6Hz - 23 kHz. BUT it has a bass amplifier build in. Does this matter?
Im a sound engineer so I hate all products that alters sound that I can't control, so should you! :P A bass amplifier might compensate for crappy specs but I doubt it and I would not recomend anyone to use anything that alters the sound (that includes software EQ & effects that comes with some sound cards) unless you realy know what u'r doing.

What specs to look for? well theres only realy 2 that matters here.
THD <= 0.5% will do just fine
then it's the frequency response, but not what they usualy brag about (20hz-23Khz) all headphones can do that, well not the realy crappy ones.. what matters is how well they respond at all frequencies in a range and here's the sad thing about headphones, they suck at this.

When you buy a set of speakers U'll usualy see something like this "frequency response 20hz-23Khz +/- 3db" with only 3 db it's hard to hear the difference, but possible at some frequencies. Headphones however would usualy have 20hz-20Khz +/- 25db, and they would be conciderd good headphones.

If you can get hold of a frequency response chart it's easier to see if it's good headphones, a chart usualy goes from 20hz to 20Khz and shows how good/bad the response is at different frequencies.
Here's an example:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompar ... phID[]=417

etymotic ER-6 is what we want, it's almost a stright line at +/- 0 db and dosn't go under -5db before 6Khz which is GREAT for headphones (or in this case ear plugs) but they cost ~100$. Sennheiser HD650 is also realy good stuff, but who here will want to pay 500$ for headphones?
The line for AKG K101 looks like it was drawn by a 3 year old kid, and thats not good, but thats what you get for 60$

I don't know what frequencies I-Doser normaly use so I don't realy know what headphones are good for this, but good headphones is good headphones.